Sunday, January 24, 2010

Let Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts

Sister Sara's Lesson Today---

Let Virtue Garnish Your Thoughts


Bishop H. David BurtonBishop H. David Burton
Presiding Bishop

We need to stand tall and be firmly fixed in perpetuating Christlike virtues.

What do you think of when you think of Virtue?

Bishop Burton brought out these thoughts---

"Today I wish to speak about personal traits we call virtues. Virtuous traits form the foundation of a Christian life and are the outward manifestation of the inner man. The spelling in English of many individual virtues concludes with the letters ity: integrity, humility, charity, spirituality, accountability, civility, fidelity, and the list goes on and on. Relying on literary license, I refer to the virtues ending in ity as the “ity” virtues. “Ity” is a suffix that means quality, state, or degree of being."

President James E. Faust suggested that integrity is the mother of many virtues. He noted that integrity can be defined “as a firm adherence to a code of moral values.” He also suggested that “integrity is the light that shines from a disciplined conscience. It is the strength of duty within us”

It is difficult for a person to display virtuous traits if he or she lacks integrity. Without integrity, honesty is often forgotten. If integrity is absent, civility is impaired. If integrity is not important, spirituality is difficult to maintain.

I Loved today's lesson and your coments as well! I love this gospel and how we can be a help to each other. Satan has his helpers! I am glad that you are mine! I am going to work on the "ity" virtues!

Read Bishop Burton's Conference Talk at http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-24,00.html

No comments: